This article shares a range of different ethical investing apps available for Australians, including Goodments, Raiz Invest, and Stockspot.
Sometimes you just want an app that can solve your problems for you…
You might know everything there is to know about ethical investing strategies and your personal values, but at the end of the day you just don’t have the time to execute on this knowledge.
The great thing to know is that companies have emerged to solve this problem for you. From sustainable ETF portfolios to in-app ethical screens, there are a number of different solutions to assist you in building an investment portfolio that aligns with your values.
Let’s explore some of the options available to you in Australia right now.
Does investing directly into US companies without the high barriers to entry intrigue you?
Goodments is a unique app in Australia (so much so, that ASX-listed FinTech Douugh recently acquired it) that provides a variety of ethical lenses and filters to aid your investment research process. This includes filters for ETFs like renewables, society & equality and low carbon.
They also provide overall goodness scores for each company and ETF, based on their planet, people and ethics rating system.
- Minimum Investment: $1
- Fees: 0.7% p.a. charged per month across your invested balance (capped at $5,000 p.a.)
- Investment Examples: Beyond Meat, Campbell Soup Co & Vanguard ESG US Stock ETF (ESGV)
Raiz Invest – Emerald Portfolio
You’ve probably heard of Raiz (formerly Acorns) by now, as it’s become somewhat of an Aussie staple. It’s a micro-investing app that helps you to invest on a regular basis by setting up round-ups and regular contribution plans from your bank account.
More recently they introduced the option of a sustainable portfolio, which gives you direct exposure to a diversified portfolio of ethical ETFs.
- Minimum Investment: $5
- Fees: $3.50/mo for accounts under $15k, 0.275% p.a. for accounts $15k+ (see fee page for their other investment products)
- Investment Examples: The Emerald Portfolio is made up of ethical ETFs: RARI, ETHI, IAF & AAA.
Spaceship Voyager – Earth Portfolio
Another popular micro-investing app in Australia is Spaceship Voyager, which offer the Spaceship Earth Portfolio. This portfolio focuses on investing in companies ‘that have a positive impact on people and the planet in areas such as poverty, inequality, climate change, the environment, and quality education by contributing towards the advancement of the UN Sustainable Development Goals’.
- Minimum Investment: $1
- Fees: No fees on the first $5,000 invested and 0.10% p.a. on the balance above $5,000
- Investment Examples: Atlassian, Shopify & Xero
Australian robo-advice platform Stockspot has long been calling out funds with high fees and low performance in the investment industry, and has become well-known for their annual Super Fat Cat Funds report.
Stockspot offers five different sustainable ETF portfolios that differ based on your risk profile. Robo-investing is a hands-off way to invest in pre-selected ETF portfolios and build wealth over time.
- Minimum Investment: $2,000
- Fees: The fees differ based on the amount you have invested (see fee page), but a portfolio of $10,000 or less will cost you $5.50 per month (this includes brokerage fees).
- Investment Examples: Their sustainable portfolios include the following ETFs: FAIR, ESGI, ETHI, IAF & GOLD.
Six Park – Sustainable ETF Portfolios
Although they don’t have an “app” per se, Six Park is another viable option when it comes to investing in diversified ETF portfolios with a sustainable lens.
- Minimum Investment: $5,000
- Fees: Again, their fees differ based on the amount invested (see fee page), but a portfolio of $19,999 or less will cost you $9.95 per month (this includes brokerage fees).
- Investment Examples: Their sustainable portfolios include the following ETFs: E200, VESG, HETH
So there you have it folks, plenty of apps to help you out when it comes to ethical investing in Australia.
Where can I learn about ethical investing in Australia?
Has all this talk of investing got you intrigued?
Firstly, we have a free course on ETF investing (our most popular one actually) which should give you a head start on your investment journey.
Then give our ethical investing basics course a go (it’s free as well), to work out what your personal ethics are and how you want to invest for your future.